On behalf of the Governing Board, I write to invite you to a workshop on Advocacy and Capacity Building in Open Access (OA) and Open Science (OS) to top management staff (Vice-Chancellors, Presidents and Rectors and Deputy Vice Chancellors Directors of Research and Library Services of AAU member Institutions).
The goal of the meeting is Creating and Implementing Open Access and Open Science policies and mandates in the respective AAU member institutions.
This workshop is planned for 26-27th October and will be a blended workshop running from 9am to 2pm EAT each day, which, will be hosted by the British University of Egypt
As defined by the UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science, Open Science is a movement aiming to make science more open, accessible, efficient, democratic and transparent. The transition to Open Science allows scientific information, data and outputs to be more widely accessible (Open Access) and more reliably harnessed (Open Data) with the active engagement of all relevant stakeholders (Open to Society).
The Open Access/Open Science workshops targeting research leadership in AAU member regions and universities is proposed with the objective of creating awareness and education on the importance and best practice of Open Access/Open Science. The desired outcome is engagement and buy-in by the academic community on the adoption of Open Science.
TCC Africa and PLOS are supporting partners in this initiative.
• Effective adoption of Open Science and Open Access practice among members
• Increased education and awareness on Open Science and Open Access in the AAU member academic community
Objective of the workshops
• To create and embrace open science and open access in the respective member academic communities
• To understand the current developments on open science, challenges faced in their respective academic communities and opportunities on open science and open access
• To reduce the push back on the adoption of Open Science and Open Access by early career researchers.
• To create awareness on how Open Science aids in higher education institutions competitiveness
The meeting is free to attend. Participants take care of their accommodation and/or transport for the two days.
The registration link is https://tinyurl.com/mr2ana33
Please go to this Egyptian Accommodation Logistics link https://tinyurl.com/ycyfuj9n to book your accommodation, BUE as host will provide transport from hotel to BUE for the 2-day event.
You can also attend the meeting online by registering and joining via this link
Prof Olusola Oyewole
Secretary General, AAU